Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dear Dr. Pepper: Please spam me. No? Well, all right...

What's wrong with this picture?

In a moment of weakness, I attempted to see if I was one of those lucky 1 in 6 to win a prize for buying a Dr. Pepper.

There's nothing wrong with Dr. Pepper. It's a fine product. On those rare occasions when I drink a carbonated soft drink, chances are I'll choose Dr. Pepper if it's available. At 10 or 2 or 4, it's just the thing to hit the spot!

So to see if I won a fabulous prize, like more Dr. Pepper or a key chain or something, I checked out drpepper.com. My bottle cap has a sixteen-digit alpha-numeric prize code, because I'm sure they need to have 7,958,661,109,946,400,884,391,936 different ones. Sales must be booming.

I know they just want my email address so they can spam me about, oh, I don't know -- Caffeine-free Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. But if I get a Dr. Pepper hat out of it, well, so be it.

Apparently I have been here before, because when I tried to give them my email address, they already had it. OK, fine -- I'll sign in with my usual throw-away password.

Uh-oh! I'm missing some key information! Which required fields do they need?

Uhh....

Four fields.

That AREN'T ON THE PAGE! AAAARGH!

No comments: